Re: Authentication (no longer Re: [Asrg] My Opinion...)

2003-03-26 10:49:43
On Tuesday 25 March 2003 21:13, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 6:24 PM -0800 3/25/03, Wes Peters wrote:
This has been the crux of the problem all along, and one of the
reasons why I am completely unsympathetic to the cries of the large
ISPs that they are being inundated by spam.  The spam problem is
caused by ISPs who allow mail to enter the network without sender
authentication.  If all ISPs required sender authentication, we
wouldn't have this problem.

Do we really believe this is true?  As far as I've been able to tell,
spammer accounts get closed ASAP, as soon as they are reported.

I'm certain this is true for most ISPs.  I'm not certain at all it's
true of the 2 or 3 biggest national ISPs in the USA, especially those
who service thousands of new cable/dsl accounts per day.

Having your account closed within hours of sending spam is just a
cost of business for a spammer.  That's why ISPs have had to resort
to blocking port 25.

We've recently been regaled with a description of the network
architecture of a top tier national ISP in the USA that not only
doesn't block port 25 outbound, it actually traps port 25 outbound to
any IP address to their own SMTP servers.  This same ISP is touting
their efforts at blocking a billion incoming spams per day to anyone
who will listen, not mentioning that it actually assists in sending
outbound spam and does nothing to block spam between its own
subscribers.

Another question for the survey I suppose.

Yup, I guess so.

Wes Peters                                         Sr. Software Engineer
wpeters(_at_)stbernard(_dot_)com                               St. Bernard
Software