[Asrg] Re: Notes on Callback SMTP Transmission

2003-03-28 08:43:21
From: william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net
Subject: [Asrg] Notes on Callback SMTP Transmission

As promised I'm sending you notes on callback tranmission. This notes
are similar format as verification notes I sent before and in fact I had
them done together.

Callback transmission is an interesting idea, but consider:

1 - NastySpammer sends millions of connections from thousands of 0wned hosts,
and suddenly poor victim gets a DDoS from all the callbacks from hosts
attempting to receive the purported mail.

2 - How does this fix open SMTP relays?  An open SMTP relay will presumably
set itself as the host to call back.  In fact, how does this interoperate
with SMTP relaying?

--
David.