Re: [Asrg] Opt-Out Notes: too complicated, ignoring history

2003-03-28 09:47:54
 All your MXs and other relays need to know the preference ...

This is the "every user's entitled to receive all spam" fallacy again.

No.  This is the "PSMTP.COM" problem.  This *ONE* site is the MX for literally
kajillions of domains - I have one Listserv box that has routed 4,985 pieces
of mail there in the last week, and that's for 156 different domains.  And
that's just *MY* one server.  There's no way they can advertise the correct
policy for all 156 domains unless there is a one-size-fits-all policy at
psmtp.com.

156 domains is nothing.  At vuurwerk.nl the mail servers handle over
100,000 domains, and at schlund.de they have mail servers that handle over
a million.

Since psmtp.com is Postini, which is a spam filtering company, I suspect
that their policy for all of their incoming mail is NO UBE.  But even if
it's not, it's not a big deal.  They can have one MX that publishes NO UBE
and one that doesn't, probably on a single set of hardware.  (This is one
of the reasons that NO UBE flag is deliberately a single bit, not a
complex set of knobs and dials.)  The customers who want spam can stay on
the MX without the notice, the other 99% on the MX with the notice.  Same
with Vuurwerk or Schlund.

This isn't rocket science, nor is it even complicated programming.  If
they don't want to use NO UBE, all they have to do is nothing.

Why do people want this to be so much more complicated?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",