RE: [Asrg] Unhelpful "helpful" solutions

2003-03-28 12:26:50
Looks like a Best Practices, or maybe a 'worst practices' draft
is the answer here.

We cannot affect the whole world but we can certainly police
our own lists. It is very likely that others will follow our
guidelines. This is how Netiquette evolves.

There is a problem in that mail clients can't distinguish mail
sent from MOST mailing lists. The ietf lists are different in
that they do actually implement the List-Id feature so there
is no excuse not to recognise that the email came from a list.

These bounceback schemes are unacceptable and unscalable. In
effect every person who subscribes creates a spam for every
email they receive from someone not whitelisted.

Even more anoying is the people like Dan Bernstein who send
you a patronising message explaining that you were not important
enough to be whitelisted.

Email callback authentication is acceptable for mailing lists
where it is done to protect the recipient. It is not acceptable
for individuals to use it indiscriminately. It is possibly
acceptable as a last resport for messages identified as being
probable spam. For example a filter rates the probability of
a mail being spam as 90% so the agent sends a response back
saying 'the message you sent was identified as being 90% likely
spam so we are checking just in case it is genuine'.

People should not receive multiple callback messages from the same
address. Whitelisting MUST be automatic.

        Phill