RE: [Asrg] cost vs. benefit

2003-03-28 13:22:40
Thanks Dave. :-)

I think the charter presents a fairly accurate framework.  What I suggest is a
requirements document, and you are of course (to me at least) articulating the
exact reason for development of a Requirements statement.  To that end let me
include in this note the requirements I have cobbled together from this lists
threads so far:

Requirement 1)  The proposal MUST address the issue of RFC821 [or envelope
protocol] originating MTA/MUA authenticity.

Requirement 2) The proposal SHOULD be amenable to legislation, in place or
pending as close as possible.

Requirement 3) The proposal MUST provide a flexibility for integration with
other ANTI-SPAM (UBE/UCE) approaches [it shouldn't break anything].

Requirement 4) The proposal SHOULD provide implementation specifics that
address the issues of privacy, security and which reflect end use choices, of
either providers or users.

Requirement 5) The proposal SHOULD/MAY [not sure how strong this would be as a
requirement] include a mechanism for implementation in messaging relay systems
(MX hosts), end use 'post offices' (MTAs), and end node mail recipient systems
(MUAs).  Proposals that include only one of these messaging system components
MUST include mechanisms for interaction with the other components.

Requirement 6) The proposal MAY include a method for extension to or
integration with other protocols, e.g. HTTP, that may be used to relay
messages.

Requirement 7)  The proposal SHOULD describe a working definition of
Unsolicited, Solicited, Bulk and other terms used to describe messaging
commonly referred to as SPAM.

-e

-----
Eric Williams
PGP Public Key
http://new.infobro.com/KeyServ/EricDWilliams.asc
Finger Print: 1055 8AED 9783 2378 73EF  7B19 0544 A590 FF65 B789

On Friday, March 28, 2003 10:39 AM, Dave Crocker