Re: [Asrg] Opt-Out Notes: too complicated, ignoring history

2003-03-28 18:12:20
Vernon,

I'm not sure what your point is here.   If you are trying to characterize me
as a pro-spam activist, you have missed the mark by about 180 degrees.

In my previous postings, and which I still contend, the way we use email has
changed considerably over the years.   What was perfectly acceptable 20, or
hey, even 5 years ago is at best a grey area these days in many cases.   The
definition of what is acceptable, and to whom is a moving target.   This is
my point.  There was even a message to this list in this thread today
suggesting that list traffic a user deliberately signed up for could be
considered spam or ube.   Is this a valid definition for this?   I suspect
not, but who knows?   One thing for sure is that several years back, there
is no way that most would categorize it this way.

Another point that I'm trying to drive home is that legislation, while it
has its place, is not apt to help in this fight, for practical reasons.
Again, please don't try to twist this into something it is not - I'm only
trying to outline how simple legislation is to circumvent, hence the need
for solutions that do not rely solely on it.

In a separate message by Brad Templeton today, it was stated that
identification of exactly what we are trying to solve here is necessary in
order to get going properly.   For me at least, this was one of the most
positive statements I've seen.   With it, I hope we can also define in
concrete terms what at least we feel  spam/ube is defined to be, so that we
can minimize the effects of designing to a moving target.

Can we move on from here?   If not, and we need to has this out offline,
just let me know - I'd hate to see misperceptions get in the way of moving
forward.

Regards,

-- Tim