Re: [Asrg] If You Don't Fix It, The Politicians Will

2003-03-28 19:15:58
Depends on how much is centralized. If you don't keep a
central repository for logins, you could keep one for "registered"
servers that follow guidelines, which would allow you to enforce
things with them that are best standard practices. I didn't go any
further than what I said because nobody seemed interested in
discussing it. I'm happy to however, there's an entire world
worth of possible options when working with a new system.

Centalizing things isn't necessarily bad, and that's not neccesiarly
exclusive. Filesharing networks found out that they can work
if they are decentralized, but they work *better* with at least some
coordination. I suspect the same goes for DNS, if you took away
the root servers it'd be almost useless.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kee Hinckley" <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>
To: "Paul Tenny" <pwtenny(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>
Cc: <Asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] If You Don't Fix It, The Politicians Will

At 9:02 PM -0500 3/26/03, Paul Tenny wrote:
I have actually already suggested such a system. The only differences
were it did not cost anything, and it was not run by a government.

Reference:

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01565.htm

Actually you don't seem to mention who would run it.  However, what
you proposed was taking something that is currently highly
distributed and centralizing it.  I don't think that's going to fly.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to
regulate
everyone else's.