Re: [Asrg] Is this a new spam form?

2003-03-31 13:43:43
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
she got spam addressed from a user of her mail list. That user seems to
have gotten "something" that caused her machine to send a spam message
to everyone in her address book.

  Which indicates a useful definition for spam:

  "spam is email which the user of the MUA did not intend to send"

I hadn't thought about it before now, but this seems like a great way
to propogate a spam message, because it works through whitelists and
around subscription blocks on lists nicely, and doesn't require open
relays or open proxies.

  I agree.  There are many, many machines out there which are
"owned".  Many are being used to send spam *without* a MUA.

  Alan DeKok.