[Asrg] Is this a new spam form?

2003-03-31 13:37:18

someone on list-managers just posted a note that has me a bit freaked.

she got spam addressed from a user of her mail list. That user seems to have gotten "something" that caused her machine to send a spam message to everyone in her address book.

which sounds suspiciously like a spammer who's gotten into the macro-virus game to propogate spam mail.

anyone else seen this before? Is this a new toy we have to worry about?

(and I'll say upfront that complaining about what microsoft HAS done isn't productive, if this is going to happen, how are we going to contain it?)

I hadn't thought about it before now, but this seems like a great way to propogate a spam message, because it works through whitelists and around subscription blocks on lists nicely, and doesn't require open relays or open proxies.