Spam costs. RE: [Asrg] SMTP over SSL

2003-04-02 16:24:48
Well ingoring the fact that I have been working on killing spam which means
I could attribute much of the cost of emplying me to spam I see the
following costs of spam:

1) It takes a lot longer to identify the wanted messages on my RIM pager.

2) A lot of uses of my mail system are slow because I am wading through
spam.

3) Most of the spam is simply never read, but some is because it takes a
while to check.

4) I frequently loose wanted messages amongst the noise.

I don't think that these add up to $1 per spam but it is a non-negligible
amount.

The total enterprise costs are somewhat different, here we have to take
account of the pinhead factor:

1) People who open up malicious code

2) People who defraud the company hoping to pay it back from a 419 scheme
(several really large frauds)

3) People who sue their employer claiming that pornospam created a hostile
work environment

For ISPs the major costs are:

1) Customers switching to another ISP to avoid their spam

2) Customers discontinuing service altogether

3) Complaints from customers, spam victims other ISPs and anti-spam
vigilantes with attitude

I don't think the cost of actually moving the stuff arround are the biggest
cost for anyone, they can become a major cost for a really big ISP which has
football fields worth of equipment.