RE: [Asrg] porkhash: flexible anti-impersonation mail signatures

2003-04-02 17:11:30
Same as with S/MIME certs - if they got hold of your key, they can pretent
to be you.

But there is actually way to help the situation with porkhash. Since we
know that ever time email is received, there is a verification request
done to the origin server  (and messageid is provided too!) - too many
verification requests would signal something maybe wrong (i.e. you
might expect 100 email from that client, maybe if they send to large
email list - 1000, but 1 million - you know something is wrong). Plus
the request can be doublechecked and matched to messageid (though that
requires verification server to be tied to messagetracking - just like in
my proposal).

I actually like this porkhash quite a bit. I'm thinking it can actually
work best if tied to messagetracking (so instead of messagetracking being
plaintext, we now have some crypto authentication) plus it also ties
nicely into opt-out system.