Re: [Asrg] Re: "ham" is ridiculous -was- Re: False Positive

2003-04-03 08:43:29
At 04:06 PM 4/3/2003 +0100, you wrote:

"Ham" was used by almost every single presenter at the MIT conference. It's a recent term, but it's very much in use. Language changes, welcome to the world :-)

The presenters at MIT aren't a full sample (by a long way) of the anti-spam community. There is more to stopping spam than using filters. (I'm also disinclined to watch the entire session just to check the assertion that "almost every single presenter" used the term but I doubt it. If many presenters used it my suspicion is that they're all from the same small group.)

Youll is right. Adding that word ("ham") to the vocabulary creates one more thing to explain where the explanation does nothing to increase useful awareness - it only describes what a small band desires. There's a task here - why complicate that by adding useless vocabulary changes? It's made worse by the fact that the vocabulary change reduces the information content of statements made using that vocabulary. "spam" and "not-spam" can be seen to be completely disjoint categories defined on a single criterion. "Spam" and "ham" carry no such clarity. Yes, if you pound over and over on saying "ham" means "not spam" then the content is the same. That requires pounding over and over on a definition. Who has the time?

It's not a good enough usage to be worth the trouble.