RE: [Asrg] Taxonomy and List of Requirements

2003-04-04 09:23:01
At 10:40 AM 4/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

> Are these done?  Was any form of agreement reached?

Taxonomy draft 3. 3/20
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01794.html

There was only one response to this message and it required no changes. So,
this draft is what we will move forward with.

OK. Open proxy & open relay honeypots don't even appear. Broadly speaking there are two kinds of spam: direct spam and abuse-path spam. Currently by far the larger problem is the abuse-path spam. Many feel that many spam sources are waiting in the wings, hoping to be given some kind of license to send direct spam of a more targeted nature. This would be the kind of spam the DMA, Microsoft, etc. favor. Technical measures may not be adequate by themselves to keep such spam from multiplying. I very much believe in the honeypot as a solution but I don't kid myself: that other is, in the long term, the greater threat. Still, I'd like for honeypots to make a maximal contribution to the elimination of abuse spam.

Requirements draft 1. 3/19
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01721.html

Russell Brand volunteered to take charge of the requirements doc. Eric D.
Williams is also working with him.

Could the language be made more precise? Some things may be absolute requirements, others may indicate desirability.

For honeypots, for example, is it a privacy problem that honeypot operators end up with big lists of email addresses from the trapped spam? Otherwise I think honeypots score pretty highly with regard to the requirements. For requirement 9 there surely is the likelihood that spammers will be able to detect honeypots with some degree of success once honeypots become prevalent enough to be of concern to the spammers. The goal (as I see it) for a honeypot operator is to so perfectly mimic a vulnerable system that the spammer can't tell the difference. That means countermeasures to whatever the spammers try, when they try it. Slightly less stringent would be a goal of making it so expensive to the spammer to distinguish honeypots from true vulnerable systems that the spammer is in despair. In any case I find it very hard to imagine a successful spammer countermeasure to what I now do: simply trap relay tests. The best the spammer can do is to never test that IP again. If you control several IP's in a range the best the spammer can do is never test that range again ("never test" implies "never abuse.") That, to me, is good enough to be worthwhile.

> Current attention here seems almost exclusively limited to
> solutions based
> on actions taken at the receiving system.  Was it ever
> decided that such a
> restriction was appropriate?

No. No restrictions have been decided upon.

Nonetheless the impression I get is that all the emphasis is on that one type of solution. Abuse is a key component of current spam, relay tests are vital to current spam. Neither is clear to me in the taxonomy - it's like they are so unimportant they deserve no mention. Blacklists can be said to apply to abuse spam (open relay and open proxy dnsbl's) but then we're back to what I said: actions at the receiving end only. It's natural for those who experience the problem at the receiving end to put their emphasis there. So far that's been inadequate - I favor having a taxonomy that examines the entire spam cycle, from discovery of email addresses to receipt of payment. It may be that the solution is a combination of techniques. I favor hitting spam at every level. Three successive 90% solutions give a combined 99.9% solution, and so on.

Sorry to be so late with these comments.

Thanks.