RE: [Asrg] Ban the honeypots?

2003-04-09 03:19:38
At 01:20 AM 4/9/2003 -0600, you wrote:

Is there a chance that a verry important email I write will get stuck in a honeypot never to be heard from again?

I've not seen it in my honeypot - want me to look again?

Let's review relays. If you use something like Eudora then you have an SMTP server specified in that. Your outgoing mail is sent, using the SMTP protocol, to that server. IF that server has MX records so that mail to it can go to a number of different IPs, in case the server itself is down for some reason, that makes no difference to Eudora. Eudora doesn't use the MX records - if your SMTP server won't take the mail it gets stuck on your system. The server, once the email message is received, tries to deliver the email directly to the destination, except it checks the MX records and tries to send it first to the IP with the lowest-numerically parameter in the MX records.

That's it. Your server does not hunt around for any open relay to deliver the email. If the honeypot doesn't show up in the MX records for a server then your email never ever goes to that honeypot. TCP/IP looks for routes to route around difficulties, SMTP just uses what it's told (via DNS and MX records. Your email will never get to the honeypot. Email to you may easily get to the honeypot - that email is of the type called "spam." (Do you want it? Too bad - I'm not going to dleiver it any time soon. Tell the spammer he can't trust the relays any more - if he wants the email delivered he'd better send it direct, just like everyone else. Do you not want it? If he sends the email direct block all the spammer's IPs.)

Spammers, on the other hand, don't work that way. Spammers who use open relays find the IP number of the open relay and connect directly to that. They, like Eudora, pay no attention to the MX records. Recall that spammers don't care a whit about following the rules - they just want their spew delivered. They find an IP that will accept and deliver email, they send spam to that IP, they trust it will be delivered. Most of the time their trust is justified. Notice, in particular, that the IP need not have any MX record, need not have any DNS record. If you'll check the spamware used to search for open relays you'll find that it has a box to enter the staring IP number and a box to enter the ending IP number. It checks the range between those numbers. (That's one particular spamware open relay detection program that has a screen shot on a we page. Surely there are other ways to search for open relays - it's not really a big point, other than that the spammers don't go by name.) A spammer could go by name - in that case a honeypot with no name wouldn't be found by that spammer.

So, although the subject of the email for you caught by the honeypot might have the word "Urgent" in it the chance of your actual important email being caught is zero. Your valid email doesn't go through "randomly" selected relays. Your spam may.

The same argument holds for open proxies - your SMTP server does not try to send your email through another system using a proxy on that system.