Re: FW: [Asrg] Anyone have the text on this bill?

2003-04-11 11:09:13
S. 877 actually is the Burns/Wyden bill.  Wyden is a cosponsor, along with
Sens. Breaux (D-LA), Landrieu (D-LA), Stevens (R-AK), Thomas (R-WY), and
Schumer (D-NY).

As for text, you could keep trying thomas.loc.gov, or you could try here:
http://www.geocities.com/folic_acid_ttc/

Regards,

-Simon Devereaux

-----Original Message-----
From: Kee Hinckley [mailto:nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 1:28 PM
To: Asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] Anyone have the text on this bill?

Senators' bill takes aim at spam

Move would require return addresses from marketers

Friday, April 11, 2003 Posted:  11:00 AM EDT (1500 GMT)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Two U.S. senators introduced a bill on
Thursday seeking to cut down on "spam," the unwanted junk e-mail
that by some estimates accounts for 40 percent of e-mail traffic
worldwide.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/04/11/spam.bill.reut/index.html

I can find online is S.877 (A bill to regulate interstate commerce by
imposing limitations and penalties on the transmission of unsolicited
commercial electronic mail via the Internet.), but Wyden doesn't
appear to be one of the sponsors and I don't have the text.

The article claims that it would require valid return addresses and
require state AG's to sue on consumer's behalf (boy I'll bet they'll
love that).
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering