Re: [Asrg] Spam Control Complexity -- scaling, adoption, diversit y and scenarios

2003-04-20 18:57:03
From: Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>

HBP> Content filtering requires only single ended adoption.

And it is not subject to network standardization.  ...

I suspect that is more true than false, but more than half of the spam
control systems now in at least real trial use (stopping millions of
spam/day) involve aspects that could be subject to network standardization.
All of the following filter at only one end, but push lots of bits
through the Internet in support of that filtering:
  - Postini
  - Brightmail
  - MAPS's RBL using BGP feed
  - DNS blacklists including MAPS's RBL+, SBL, and SPEWS
  - Razor/Pyzor
  - DCC
(in no particular order.  no endorsements implied.  omissions unintentional)

SpamAssassin can also be viewed as moving data around the net in support
of its content filtering in the form of updates to the default scoring.

Of all of those, only SpamAssassin sounds like a good candidate for
network standardization, but I think it is a candidate.  The others
have protocols that would be hard to displace.

The only spam solutions that I can think of that might be called
"double ended" are
   - authentication
   - sender-pays (money, CPU cycles, or anything else)
   - challenge/response