RE: [Asrg] Spam Control Complexity -- scaling, adoption, diversity y and scenarios

2003-04-22 18:37:11
I do not agree, I think this group is not 'charged' to do anything but research
into ways to mitigate spam (not stop spam) by developing methodologies
associated with "consent-based communication" and methods for enforcement of
policies associated with it by 'investigating the feasibility of (1) a single
architecture that supports this and (2) a framework that allows different to be
plugged in to provide different pieces of the solution.'

That is not a 'charge' to "stop spam" OR "stop spam by method X."

In fact I feel that is a fundamental flaw in many of these over-arching
dialogs.  Where I see congruence however is in the desire of the group to
provide a solution that is easily deployed and desirable to use.

I would like to stress that my reading of the charter seems to indicate that
there is a requirement for interoperability of solutions or approaches
envisioned in this research activity in order to achieve (2) above.  Whether
that is network or application interoperability, single-ended or double-ended
does not appear to be relevant at this moment as a framework has not yet been
developed nor a single architecture.  NOTE I wrote 'at this moment' as this may
become an issue (or not) later on.  You are both correct in pointing out
developing these types of solutions requires innovation AND standardization to
achieve the stated goals of the investigation activities.  So it appears there
are two tracks for discussion.

I have stated this before - we are working without a net while we have no
requirements.  Russell Brand and I are working on a format and presentation of
requirements and it may be helpful to vet those with this group (or not)
depending on how it impacts the performance of research toward a solution,
IMHO.  In any event I hope that can clarify at a sufficiently abstracted level
a) the problem, b) the requisite component effects  and c) the rationales for a
solution/method.

It does not appear many do know how to approach development of such a
framework, in a practical way, and perhaps all of the wrangling is warranted
but I am getting the feeling that most of this is posturing among this group of
very talented people.  Again, I have stated this before.  We know the problems
pretty well.  Let's get on to the innovation and not continue down these
lengthy unproductive side-tracks.

The question that began this long back and forth was I think (in high level
terms): Will core or edge be better for developing an approach (DC).  The
answer I think was: I don't think we can know that yet, we need more discussion
or some better examples (PHB).  At least that is what I read into the
conversation.

There are other issues involved in developing a framework, e.g., in the subject
of this message; let's not forget them.

-e

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003 12:29 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip