Re: [Asrg] overlooking the obvious

2003-04-23 14:55:49
At 14:39 -0700 4/23/03, matthew richards wrote:
when all else fails, USE A DICTIONARY! there's no point in inventing new definitions for words that already have them.

I believe the question concerned not what the word-wise definition of "identity" is, but rather, what that means for implementation and deployment in the real world where we are not beginning from scratch... and where we the concept of "identity" (which as your definitions reveal, prescribes fairly rigid constraints) must be fitted into a world of people, machines and practices that has not, to date, endured such constraints.

6 entries found for identity.
i·den·ti·ty Audio pronunciation of identity ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-dnt-t)
n. pl. i·den·ti·ties

1. The collective aspect of the set of characteristics by which a thing is definitively recognizable or known: "If the broadcast group is the financial guts of the company, the news division is its public identity" (Bill Powell). 2. The set of behavioral or personal characteristics by which an individual is recognizable as a member of a group.
   3. The quality or condition of being the same as something else.
4. The distinct personality of an individual regarded as a persisting entity; individuality.