[Asrg] at: list moderator

2003-04-30 13:29:44
mod:
i did not realize this list was moderated, but now that i do; please unsubscribe me immediately, as there is no point in bothering to post to a list where non offensive, constructive comments are arbitrarily censored.

---

there have been accusations made against proponents of a reliable email system that does not employ filters or blacklisting at the ISP level.

i would argue that A: there is no disadvantage to providing additional options to users (i.e. and on and off switch for personal filtering/blacklisting) B: along a logical line of thought it is in the interest of spammers to take a neutral or positive position in regards to filters and blacklisting because THEY ARE NOT EFFECTIVE. if they were we would not have a spam problem! this should be obvious to anyone, if it's not then i suggest you sign up with an ISP that employs mandatory filtering and/or blacklisting. you will find that it is indeed a "half-assed" solution with limited success, often bordering on detrimental. WHY? because A: blacklisting is fascist and can be abused. B: filters are not intelligent enough to accurately differentiate between spam and legitimate mail.
-m