Re: [Asrg] Re: News Article - CONFESSIONS OF A FORMER SPAMMER - text included

2003-05-12 13:00:42

On May 11, 2003 at 15:57 tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com (Tony Hansen) wrote:
I think that if legislation were to help in the fight, it's not the
spammers that we need to be fining, but the people who are advertising
via the spam.

There's no reason not to go after both.

The spam business is coming to resemble organized crime more and more
over time.

A typical method of organized crime is to pressure usually small
businesses to buy their product even if it's useless to them.

           Big Solly is gonna be very unhappy if youse don't
           buy some advertising services from us...I'll put
           ya down for $200 this week...

Also racketeering etc (e.g., getting your own people hired into a
company so they can spend the company's money on spam.)

We already know we're dealing with serious sociopaths by what we can
see in spammer behavior, where do we imagine it's all going?

Spam is the rise of organized crime on the internet.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*