RE: [Asrg] Re: News Article - CONFESSIONS OF A FORMER SPAMMER - t ext included

2003-05-12 13:27:36

I think that if legislation were to help in the fight, it's not the
spammers that we need to be fining, but the people who are
advertising
via the spam.

That would be a good theory, except that most of the stuff that is being
advertised is already outright criminal. If you can catch up with the actual
advertisers you can probably put them behind bars under existing
legislation.

The problem is that the spam gangs act as insulation. There are a number of
conspiracy charges that could probably apply if law enforcement was to
expend aq huge effort. But anti-spam legislation would make it easier to go
after the spam gangs.

What I found surprising was the fact that the guy thought $1,000 a week was
such a great living in a hi tech industry. If he had got a lawsuit from one
of the relays he raped he would have been wiped out.

        Phill