RE: [Asrg] Does the group have a future?

2003-05-13 06:17:47
This is somewhat typical of most groups trying to gain a charter, however,
this particular topic is quite sensitive and has also attracted a diverse
set of individuals with varying backgrounds.  It's important to cultivate
the activities of newbies while also preserving the valuable time of
experts.  Alan is/was a tremendous asset to this group.  It's quite a
disservice to ourselves and the Internet community that we have chased him
off with our nonsense.  I suspect that once we propose a working draft or
two we will attract people like Alan back into our effort..until then, this
group should focus on producing drafts rather than producing disharmony.
Both debate and conflict are encouraged...but let's debate the ideas rather
than ego.

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Tom
Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 5:18 AM
To: Alan DeKok; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] Does the group have a future?

I find myself largely in agreement with Alan, although I'm not
unsubscribing
from ASRG just yet because there's still some [apparently small]
chance that
the chairman will slap down the trouble-makers instead of those
objecting to
those who respond to their provocative drivel.  If he doesn't, this
reswearch group is never going to achieve anything.

Like Alan, I'm trained in problem solving and logic (but unlike Alan my
post-grad qualifications are in Mathematics and in Engineering, not in
physics) so I can recognise illogical and fallacious arguments when I see
them.  Unfortunately some of the heaviest posters on ASRG post pretty well
nothing but illogical and fallacious arguments except when they
are posting
unfounded (and easily discovered to be counter-factual)
assertions.  And, as
Alan says, these are the people who are opposed to pretty well every
candidate proposal for a partial solution.

If those peddling this nonsense are allowed to continue as at present,
Alan's statement
      The spam problem will be addressed despite ASRG, not because of it.
will be an accurate prophecy.

Tom Thomson