RE: [Asrg] Does the group have a future?

2003-05-13 06:49:33

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Thomson [mailto:tthomson(_at_)neosinteractive(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 5:18 AM
To: Alan DeKok; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] Does the group have a future?

I find myself largely in agreement with Alan, although I'm
not unsubscribing from ASRG just yet because there's still
some [apparently small] chance that the chairman will slap
down the trouble-makers instead of those objecting to those
who respond to their provocative drivel.  If he doesn't, this
reswearch group is never going to achieve anything.

Please see my email from last week regarding the status of the mailing list
and actions that are being taken to ensure progress.
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg04382.html
.

If you have any specific suggestions beyond those things that I've outlined,
please feel free to send them directly to me.

Like Alan, I'm trained in problem solving and logic (but
unlike Alan my post-grad qualifications are in Mathematics
and in Engineering, not in
physics) so I can recognise illogical and fallacious
arguments when I see them.

That is good. The majority of the people on this list have similar
capabilities. BTW, I spoke with Alan off-list and he decided not to
unsubscribe.

Unfortunately some of the
heaviest posters on ASRG post pretty well nothing but
illogical and fallacious arguments except when they are
posting unfounded (and easily discovered to be
counter-factual) assertions.

As you will see in my message that I refer to above, I have begun actively
moderating many of the heaviest posters. If anyone observes individuals
whose actions are contrary to the forward progress of this research group,
then please bring them to my attention via personal email.

And, as Alan says, these are
the people who are opposed to pretty well every candidate
proposal for a partial solution.

Yes, there are a number of people that have a misunderstanding about what is
needed in a solution. There are a numbe of properties that has caused spam
to grow to the problem that it is today. If we can address this set of
properties then we are able to have some effect on the spam problem. The
goal is to have control over the flow of unwanted messages. Addressing any
subset of these properties provides us with some additional control.
Therefore, we do not have to wait on a silver bullet. Every solution must be
evaluated according to its cost vs benefits including the portion of the
problem that it addresses, the overhead on the users and the infrastructure,
the deployment cycle, robustness to countermeasures, etc. Any criticism of a
proposal must include some compononent of this. Broad and unfounded
statements such as 'this will never work' or 'people will not use this' will
not be allowed.

Also there do exist short-term, medium-term, and long-term goals. This means
that it may make sense to deploy some solutions with limited benefit as
other more complete solutions are still being worked on. Also, every
solution requires some deployment cycle. A reasonable and incremental
deployment cycle is sufficient. A solution does not have to come with a
deployment switch that turns it on in every host overnight.

If those peddling this nonsense are allowed to continue as at
present, Alan's statement
      The spam problem will be addressed despite ASRG, not
because of it. will be an accurate prophecy.

Those 'peddling this nonsense' are actively being moderated and eventually
brought to a halt. Even currently, the number of potentially productive
members far outnumber the few 'peddlers of nonsense'. I have a number of
conversations ongoing off-list with people that are working on drafts based
on the work items that were put forth. Beyond this, the rest of the
potentially productive members must stand up and contribute. There are a
number of work items that no one has volunteered to move forward.

Paul