Re: [Asrg] Spam is good?

2003-05-15 10:30:50
At 04:33 PM 5/15/2003 +0100, Roy S. Walker wrote:

Folks,

I'm new to the list, and haven't trawled the archives, so possibly I missed something about the definition of Spam....

I am interested in the fact that in a recent survey (http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/article.php/2201291), 28% of respondents replied to spam and 8% actually ordered in response to spam. It seems that some people like (some) spam.

How should this affect mechanisms for stopping spam? (if at all...)

Cheers
Roy

--
Roy S. Walker

In general we are seeking a technical solution but here are some interesting quotes from the article:

" 50 percent of the more than 1,000 respondents to a March 2003 Mailshell survey indicated that they believe they are at least partially responsible for the volume of spam they receive. More than one-quarter (28 percent) admittedly replied to spam, and another 8 percent have actually made purchases via unsolicited promotional e-mail. "

" according to an April 2003 poll conducted by Osterman Research, nearly half (46 percent) of the respondents inadvertently deleted or overlooked a legitimate piece of e-mail. "

"The Mailshell survey found that 23 percent of their respondents had their computers infected with a virus, worm, tracking device, or other invasive code,"