RE: [Asrg] SHOULD filtering be done as part of SMTP transaction

2003-05-21 23:39:13

On May 21, 2003 at 08:59 jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com (Jon Kyme) wrote:
 > I think that now we're all in agreement that
 > (a) spam filtering should be per-user
 > (b) we should reject in SMTP where possible

Plus or minus begging the use of the conditional "should" I'm not
necessarily in agreement.

Unfortunately, spam is often (nearly) indistinguishable from a
denial-of-service attack.

As I've reported here previously I've had the same spam spewing
simultaneously from over 200 different IP addresses.

I don't believe that an acceptance that filtering should best be per-user
doesn't preclude administrators taking steps to preserve their systems
in the face of "attack".