[Asrg] Re: What are your criteria for the end of spam?

2003-05-27 03:51:15
At 26/05/2003 07:02 +0900, Shannon Jacobs wrote:

1) We want to be informed of the best values.
2) We don't want to give up our privacy.
3) Companies compete to create the best values.
4) Email could help customers find the best values.

If (1,4) _I_ want to be informed, _I_ go and do something about
it. I opt IN to a few things (even the ASRG list ...). I don't
want to be informed of stuff on the basis of someone else's
values.

The things over which companies compete (3) are a set of things
different in principle from those which consumers think are of
value. The sets have some members in common but the utility
functions are different.
Bluntly, commercial concerns are there to make money; some will
do it by helping you, but it's not their primary concern.

There is a danger of believing that U<C>E is the problem; it's
UBE (2) whether C or not, that I want to deal with.

It's possible that the key issue is how to deal with U -- e-mail
you were not expecting -- so that recipients feel they remain in
control.
That will be my criterion for the beginning of the end.

And working it through, some technology gives recipients some
self-determination in some environments. Legislation probably
transfers control away from recipients. I only expect to see the
beginning of the end when Internet businesses establish sensible
relationships among themselves and with their customers. I want to
be able to buy a mail service that works to my specification, which
my provider has set up with other providers. No path from anywhere
with pink contracts or other inadequate policies, and it's up to
my ISP to assure me of that.

Yes, this fragments the mail community; or it would, if that
community was not already ripped apart
('divided by a common protocol'?[1]).

Rodney Tillotson, JANET-CERT
+44 1235 822 255.

[1] Apologies to George Bernard Shaw and others.