RE: [Asrg] RE: TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking SMTP hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

2003-05-29 14:59:47
I went through that patent below (albeit very quickly). I guess one
might say we're similar, but we're not.

VPMs allow the user to freely give out a public address that will goes
directly to the inbox, yet and not have to "kill it" when it gets in the
hands of spammers.

If and when that happens, the VPM can get "locked down", allowing all
those that have previously sent to the VPM to continue to use it, yet
disallowing any future senders (via the dreaded bounce) use of it.

The patent referenced heavily below uses dig sigs, etc to authenticate.
We don't do that.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Wyman [mailto:bob(_at_)wyman(_dot_)us]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 10:20 AM
To: 'Richard Rognlie'; Peter Kay
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [Asrg] RE: TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking
SMTP hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

Richard Rognlie wrote: (re TitanKey)
Suddenly, anyone using your solution for mail sent
from an email list will be removed from that list the
first time they get mailed and you respond with the 550.

      The TitanKey guys would probably say that when
subscribing to a mailing list you should provide one of their
"Virtual Private Email Addresses" which are basically single
user email addresses (sender + recipient are hashed to
generate the "virtual" address). If a message is received
addressed to a valid "virtual" inbox, then a C/R sequence is
not initiated.
      These "Virtual Private Email Addresses" appear to be
very much the same method which I've discussed in a few
earlier notes, is used in TDMA, or is claimed in the Xircom
patent that Intel now owns. (see: USPTO 6,356,935).

              bob wyman