Re: [Asrg] (Position): Successful anti-spam techniques must avoid software patents

2003-05-31 23:58:17
I posted a draft list for IPR claims online. Its available at http://www.solidmatrix.com/research/asrg/asrg-ipr.html. The only claim I listed there is the MailBlocks patents, I will be filling in more information once I go through the mailing list archive. I will be monitoring the mailing list and add any IP claims mentioned on the list.

Yakov

At 11:48 PM 5/29/2003 -0700, Vern Paxson wrote:

Peter Kay writes:

> Is this discussion of IPR policy within the scope of this list's
> discussion?
>
> I look at :
>
> http://www.irtf.org/asrg/
>
> And read the posting guidelines which say all conversation must be
> related to the work items at
>
> http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg-work-items.txt
>
> and there's nothing there about IPR. Perhaps IPR is a bigger issue to be
> taken at higher levels.

Given that the IRTF does not have a formulated IPR policy, and that IPR
issues are potentially of significant concern to this RG due to the
participation of a number of folks from the commercial world, I don't have
a problem with productive discussion of IPR issues on the mailng list in
this context.

> As one who has patent-pending on an anti-spam technology, I've got a lot
> to say but won't if its inappropriate for this list.

If you are not willing to disclose where this potential IPR resides, then
Yes, I think it would be inappropriate to participate in discussions that
relate to it.  If you're willing to disclose its existence, then I think
participating is okay.

                Vern