Re: [Asrg] Another criteria for "what is spam"...

2003-06-03 19:06:41
At 7:33 PM -0400 6/3/03, Barry Shein wrote:
I've been thinking about the various definitions of "spam" and thought
of another criteria which isn't necessarily mutually exclusive but
captures something important:

  Spam is e-mail from a source which is hard to impossible for
  the recipient to stop and/or reasonably prevent from receiving.

Ungrammatical definitions provide no utility whatsoever.

If you are trying to say what I think you are trying to say, it's also neither necessary nor sufficient.

Spam is email which is sent without a well-founded belief on the part of the sender that he has the specific permission of the recipient to send that mail and which is substantially identical form to mail sent to multiple recipients.

In short: unsolicited bulk email.

I do not see why it needs redefining.
--
Bill Cole