RE: [Asrg] Re: TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking SMTP hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

2003-06-03 19:33:34
On Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:50 AM, Vernon Schryver
[SMTP:vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com] wrote:
8<...>8
A "scaling problem" is one that gets worse with the growth of the net.
The host table had a scaling problem.  The size of a default-free
routing table may have a scaling problem.  Spam that grows with the
number of spammers on the net is a "scaling problem."

Side note (again ;) - This is an interesting assertion.  Does 'spam' increase
in proportion to the number of 'spammers'? Sounds like a "MAY", I think that is
possible.  Does 'spam' increase in proportion to the number of recipients [read
people eyes] accessible via the message transfer system, include here your
favorite messaging technology, e.g. IM, SMS, Rim Pager, Palm?  Sounds like a
strong case could be made, "SHOULD".

But the basis question is what is being 'scaled' the number of messages
impacting recipients, the number of messages impacting the MTS or both? AND, is
this a result or 1) the number of 'spamming' systems or 2) the number of
'spammers' or 3) an relative decrease in the viable 'spam space' - valid
recipient addresses available to some relatively constant pool of 'spammers'?

I only bring this up so that each of you may clarify your assumptions on the
scaling issue.  Additionally, when I make reference to a decreasing viable
'spam space' that is not an empirical or scientific assertion, but an
assumption on 'spammer' practices.

Please clarify the assumptions relative to the 'scaling' issue, e.g. "Spam that
grows with the number of spammers on the net" v. Spam that grows with the
adaptability of address 'scapers'; Spam that grows with the number of 'known'
legitimate mailboxes accessible to 'scrapers'; Spam that grows ...

Perhaps an analysis of these assumptions can provide some insight on what
methodologies may be applicable to the reduction of 'spam' by imposing
counter-measures against growth factors, e.g. poisoning the growth medium (I
think that was the genesis of this thread).

Thanks,

-e