RE: [Asrg] Implicit Consent (was: Another criteria for "what is spam"...)

2003-06-05 14:03:20
At 13:53 5/06/03 -0600, Richard Johnson wrote:
I believe there is no way to safely manage "implied consent" for BE
streams.  Consent for such needs to be explicit.

I would go further and say that rather than logistical difficulties, there is never implied consent for bulk email. The reason for this is that it's simply not necessary to have implied consent for bulk email in the cases where it is suggested that implied consent might exist. In those cases, there is already a 1:1 communication stream underway. This means that the potential sender has an opportunity to seek explicit consent. Failure to do so is done out of either (a) laziness; or (b) a failure to care about whether there really is consent. In fact if you're assuming consent in such cases, you know that as part of your operation you will be hitting, people who do not consider there to be implicit consent.

As I have mentioned before, consent is a legal concept, and being a legal concept there are some broad guidelines for how to determine when consent it implied. If you're interested in this in more detail, I would recommend: Young P, "The Law of Consent", Law Book Co, Sydney, 1986. Although this book is not exhaustive of the concept, it's the closest thing I've found to a canonical discussion of the issues of consent.

One survey in 2000 (<http://businessweek.com/2000/00_12/b3673010.htm>, see under heading "ONLINE BUYERS DREAD JUNK MAIL") pegged the number of users who do not regard a pre-existing relationship as giving consent to marketing material at 78%. The figures have increased over time, so the position that pre-existing relationships mean implied consent for bulk email reflects neither a practical necessity nor the views of the people who are receiving the bulk email (and it is their views that matter for the question of the existence of implied consent, not the desires of the vendors).

Even if the figures were turned around, you couldn't really claim implied consent. Implied consent would only arise where no reasonable person would regard the communication as not requiring implied consent. You'd have to either get the numbers of people who object to this practice down to something under 5%, or demonstrate that there is something in the circumstances that makes their view unreasonable. The fact that the contrary behaviour is normal practice of vendors does not make the view unreasonable.
--
Troy Rollo                              Chairman, CAUBE.AU
asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name                   Executive Director,