RE: [Asrg] criteria for spam V2 (was: Implicit Consent (was: Another criteria for "what is spam"...))

2003-06-05 19:06:28
Vernon,

My intention behind clarifying what UBE means in the context of
attempting to define spam.

If you want to use the dictionary terms for the words, perhaps you can
go to the dictionary, pull out the words, and show us what you come up
with. I tried that but what came out made a lot less sense.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vernon Schryver [mailto:vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 1:05 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [Asrg] criteria for spam V2 (was: Implicit
Consent (was: Another criteria for "what is spam"...))

From: "Peter Kay" <peter(_at_)titankey(_dot_)com>

I agree: there is no such thing as implicit consent to receive bulk
email. So therefore the updated definition goes like this:

Spam is defined as unsolicited bulk email, or UBE

Bulk email is defined as the transmission of 2 or more emails via a
primarily automated process.

Unsolicited email is defined as email where the recipient has not
explicitly approved of receiving bulk email from the sender.

Sender can mean an individual or an organization.

In summary, UBE means:

The transmission of multiple emails via a primarily
automated process
to recipients that have not explicitly approved to receive such
emails.

OK gang, fire away.

Either you keep avoiding my question or I've not asked
clearly.  Why do you insist on complicating things instead of
using the dictionary defintions of "bulk" and "unsolicited"?
What is the significance of automation?  Would 10,000
messages sent manually not be spam?  What is even one
desirable difference between "explicitly approved to receive"
and "unsolicited?"  You say what sender can mean as if it
might mean some third thing.  What is the third possibility?
A lot of clarity is lost by replacing "unsolicited bulk
email" with your 80 words.  What is gained?

On other hand, if the intent is to discuss reasons for
choosing "unsolicited bulk email," there ought to be about
100 times as many words.