RE: [Asrg] criteria for spam V2

2003-06-05 21:28:57

Something which keeps coming up in these definitional attempts is that
we seem to go around and around spam as being a personal and/or group
experience.

"Bulk" is a group experience, I only know it is "bulk" because a lot
of other people received it. When I look at one msg on the screen I
have no idea if anyone else received it.

"Unsolicited" is a personal experience. You may've signed up for
information about body part enlargement, and I haven't, doesn't matter
if it's bulk, for me it's spam, for you it isn't (using the common
definitions of this group, forget my more draconian definitions for
the moment), same msg, same sender.

And of course when people talk about "unwanted" they mostly are in the
realm of personal experience, somewhere along one's outrage scale.

I once termed this "solicitations for products I certainly don't want
anyone else to think I requested!"

I know, dialectic can be tedious; it's more fun to just charge forward
and begin slaying the dragon. But I think we're rushing headlong into
semantics and definitions w/o a lot of (disciplined) thought.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*