RE: [Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework

2003-06-09 12:25:21
At 08:20 AM 6/9/2003 -1000, Peter Kay wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> Setting the MAIL FROM to your address means that you could
> end up challenging a non-existent address, then the
> mailer_daemon that bounces the mail back to you. If the C/R
> system was really broken, it could challenge bounces
> from a non-existent address endlessly, but in the normal case
> this is only twice as much work as you need to do.

The MAIL FROM needs to be the address of the challenge sender in order
to allow CRI systems to interoperate. While some CR systems may inspect
the header, other systems that bounce the email outright (like ours)
need to look at the MAIL FROM, for reasons I've mentioned earlier in
this thread.

This would only be true for C/R systems that interoperate via plain SMTP. I don't think it would be a problem to use either an ESMTP extension that is defined for DSNs or to define an new ESMTP extension. This way you will get around the MAIL FROM<> requirement that is mandated by the RFCs by passing the C/R information via such extension.

ALSO, not all C/R systems are using the MAIL FROM <>. Earthlink for example, sends out all of its challenges from the same email address <automated-response(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net> (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26774-2003Jun6.html).

Yakov