RE: [Asrg] C/R Interworking Framework

2003-06-06 21:08:48
Thanks for the clarification. I'm talking about 4.1.1.2 of RFC 2821,
"MAIL FROM".

"The reverse-path consists of the sender mailbox."

What I'm saying is that because some CR systems do not set the MAIL FROM
to be the sender mailbox, some CR systems cannot interoperate because of
the reasons stated earlier in this thread. All I'm saying is that for
good CRI, the MAIL FROM should be that of the sender's mailbox.

Careful perusal of the relevant RFCs shows that there are differences
between these fields. Section 3.6.2 of RFC 2822,
distinguishes between
various "sender" fields:

o "The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
that is, the
mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible for the
writing of
the message."
o "The "Sender:" field specifies the mailbox of the agent
responsible for
the actual transmission of the message. "
o "When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the
mailbox(es) to
which the author of the message suggests that replies be sent."

The "FROM" field is the one that will get C/R checked, since
that is the
mailbox that sent the email. Additionally, the "MAIL FROM"
addresses that
is used in SMTP is not intended to this purpose, rather it
indicates a
mailbox to which errors should be sent to. It is perfectly legal and
sometimes even recommended in RFC 2821 to use <> for the MAIL FROM.

Yakov

Yakov Shafranovich / <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps
his eyes on the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)