Re: [Asrg] Join ASRG and display your email address for the spammers!!

2003-06-14 23:27:12
At 07:24 AM 6/14/2003 +0900, Shannon Jacobs wrote:

Hey, not trying to sound bent out of shape and all that, and it's too bloody
late now, but I just wanted to note that if I had realized that my email
address was going to be reposted on a publicly accessible Web site and in a
non-protected form, then I never would have dared to peek at this mailing
list.

Already mentioned that it's too late, but I'd still like to have my email
address expunged. I had been wondering why the new spam was coming through
this routing, and I don't want to waste more time dealing with it. And I am
not amused to discover that ASRG was probably the source of the leak.

I have been getting some spam at this email address as well since participating in the group. However, this address was exposed in at least one other place, so I don't know for sure.

The program used for archiving the lists is MHonArc, which has an anti-spam module (see http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/spammode.html). Perhaps the administrators can turn it on in order to make sure that addresses are not being harvested. The IETF mail administrator can be reached at mailadm(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org (from https://www1.ietf.org/maillist.html) and the person that handles our list is Jakob Munoz who can be reached at jmunoz(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org (from https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg). GNU MailMan, which handles the actual mailing list, might have anti-spam features as well. Alas, for all we know that could be spammers on the list as well who want revenge, also I highly doubt it.

On the last note, consider this little gem from the IETF's spam control policy page (https://www1.ietf.org/spamcontrol.html):

"The Anti-Spam Research Group of the IRTF is ignored by all policies to prevent interruption of service."