Re: [Asrg] Join ASRG and display your email address for the spammers!!

2003-06-15 16:25:45
At 08:28 AM 6/15/2003 -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> From: Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
[..]

>                   Alas, for all we know that could be spammers on the list
> as well who want revenge, also I highly doubt it.

I don't know about "revenge," but I am convinced that certain superficial
changes in some common spam in the last 60 days were prompted by
discussions here.

I trust you did not intend to suggest that you doubt that spammers
would either subscribe to this mailing list or regularly check the
archives, since that would be silly.  Spammers have more interest in
effective spam defenses than almost anyone else except perhaps people
working for organizations that are selling or want to sell spam defenses
(effective or not).

Vernon is raising an interesting point - we are operating as a public organization and thus are in full view of the very people we are trying to stop - the spammers. I personally think that is an advantage since we can see the reactions of the spammers to our discussions very quickly and can adjust accordingly.

Yakov