Re: [Asrg] Introduction and another idea

2003-06-20 14:42:29
At 9:09 AM -0600 6/20/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
As far as I can tell, all of the HTML formatting in your message
was gratuitious and not manually selected.

In which case you would be wrong. It was triggered by my making one single word bold.

Note that a lot of it was incredibly bad but typical machine-generated
HTML.  For example many of the non-breaking spaces are obnoxious (but
hidden) noise HTML.  Or notice that <span></span> pair above.
But as far as I can tell, the fact that MUAs generate incredibly
bad HTML is irrelevant.

It certainly could have done a better job, but since it was Eudora, and the the Eudora developers pretty much despise HTML email, I suspect they didn't spend a lot of time trying to make it efficient. After all, even with all that mess--it's still better than what Outlook generates.

However.  The real point of my response.

You asked why, if HTML was so common, we didn't see more of it on this list. My posting (as I hoped) quickly generated a perfect example of why technical mailing lists don't have a lot of HTML email.