[Asrg] Textbook example

2003-06-23 23:49:45
Here's sorta a good textbook example of relatively common spammer tricks.
Let's
consider it:

[quote]

From: Sabastian Taylor <seeds45(_at_)louisiana(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp>
To: <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com>
Subject: nvvlxo lucrative increase Ebay 5\xE9min\xE3r - Fre\xB7e _to Y(_at_)ou
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:35:08 +1000

chanty MycXY42jUmagernJQbgbHxg%3D%3D unselfishly o-eVm

{a href="http://hgabriela(_at_)210(_dot_)15(_dot_)187(_dot_)49/dtomi/">{img
src="http://hjones4(_at_)210(_dot_)15(_dot_)187(_dot_)49/dtomi/pr4.gif">{/a>

Y-6i testify E7Cn4ZEzJHbbHXGlKoTWUUzID plunder

[end quote]

Let's presume for the moment that seeds45(_at_)louisiana(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp is
in fact a
legitimate (probably disposable) E-mail address.  It doesn't appear, though,
that the spammer obviously abused an open relay or anything of the sort.

[Open SMTP mail server?  That's a possibility, I suppose.]

Clearly the spammer is trying to employ a variety of strategies to get past
filters (although why they'd seriously expect a GOOD result by bludgeoning
their
way into someone's Inbox who had set up mechanisms to try to keep them out is a
curiosity...).

They've included a lot of random text in the message (hard to say if the text
is
different in different copies, to bypass hash code blockers, but I'd suspect
so).

One strategy I could use in my mail filtering system would be to trigger on
words containing tricked-up letters or odd embedded delimiters (using 5 instead
of S, for example, or using odd accented letters in english words that don't
use
them, or weird embedded delimiters whose sole purpose is to confuse keyword
scanners).  It probably isn't too hard to develop SPITBOL patterns which will
match such tricks, and probably with "tolerable" efficiency (given today's fast
processors...)

Another filtering method might be based on the message having a high ratio of
non-word content (some other spams I've seen though seem to use sections of old
term papers or something, just to give meaningless "academic content" filters a
false "okay" decision).

Another indicator is the use of non-domain-based URLs... legitimate E-mails
rarely need to use those.  Yet another indicator is the use of the @ in the URL
in hopes of tricking some filters... again, this isn't usually found in
legitimate links.

I'd presume that Spam Assassin (which I presently don't use here) would
identify
many of these "odd" constructs and end up tossing a message like this one.
Perhaps someone else here has more actual direct experience with it and can
comment on that.

Meanwhile, I still think that the most notable (and common) trick being
employed
to try to get around content scanners is by putting the main 'content' either
in
the GIF file (which so far I've not successfully managed to look at) or else in
the Web page linked to it.  While I suppose it would be possible for the filter
to actually go and retrieve the linked page(s) or something, and content-scan
those (particularly if the message itself doesn't seem to have much in the way
of meaningful or revealing content of its own), this seems like it's really a
lot of effort and once you get into that whole area there are all manner of
other tricks possible so things can escalate pretty quickly.  Probably well
past
the point of diminishing returns.

Anyhow, I think this message demonstrates pretty clearly why I'm of the opinion
that (rather than spf-like approaches, which probably would NOT catch this
spam,
since chances are at least fair that the E-mail address is accurate and not
forged) and when traditional content scanners aren't being given a whole heck
of
a lot to work with here... the simple approach of filtering such HTML-burdened
E-mail coming from someone you never knew and authorized before is a pretty
reasonable strategy, and it would drop out this E-mail and most imaginable
(present and future) variants of it.

The fact that clueless folks who send HTML-burdened mails [because it's simply
the default for them] might be somewhat inconvenienced by this, should the
permissions-based approach become widespread, but they're after all being the
thoughtless ones and not caring about wasting the recipient's inbox space, so a
little inconvenience in exchange for reducing spam volume might not be an
unreasonable tradeoff.

Now, it IS true I suppose that the spammer could have used a non-hyperlinked
URL
and asked the recipient to copy-and-paste it, but they're still probably going
to need a lure (which then would have to be plain text to evade the HTML-based
permissions test) and thus that lure text would be available to the content
scanner, which whatever's in the GIF file referenced (for all intents an
purposes) really is not.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in the thoughts of the others here regarding this
particular example.

[And also, if any of the rest of y'all have received this spam on your own
systems, you might be interested to compare the copy I got with the copy you
received, to see what if any changes in my copy have resulted from my incoming
mail processing that I use here....]

And another perhaps interesting question regarding stuff like this.  When an
E-mail IS suspected of being spam (and strongly enough that is is picked out of
the delivery queue)... which is better?  To just t-can it?  Or should it bounce
back to the sender (with suitable ricochet protection)?  Should it bounce with
human-sensible explanation about why it was filtered etc etc?

Is it better to tell spammers (effectively) that the E-mail address they mailed
to is good, and what they need to do to get through your filters?  Is it better
to just black-hole the message?  Is it better (as some spam filters do) to
return a bogus "no such user" message in hopes that the spammers will purge the
"no longer good" address from their databases?

Is this one of those things that the recipient should be able to specify?
Perhaps using the same permissions-list mechanism?  (Example:  if the mail is
from someone on your permissions list, but they weren't given permission to
send
you mail in that format or with attachments, maybe then you should give them
the
benefit of the doubt and tell them that you haven't (yet) given them permission
to send you stuff like that... whereas if it's from a complete stranger, maybe
instead one should just t-can it...?)

Is there a more clever solution called for, perhaps, based on "how legitimate"
the message arguably looks like it might be?  And if so, what criteria might be
employed?

There are a lot of design decisions that can be possible here, and a
vanishingly
small likelihood I suppose that everyone will ever concur on any one of them
(and why, I suspect, there's little point in setting up a shooting gallery here
so individuals can take potshots at any specific individual implementation).
More likely that such differences will reflect in service differentiation
between different ISPs incorporating such permissions-based filtering schemes.

Lots of questions.  At least it shows why I *really* like the simple, direct
approach resulting from simply filtering out (unexpected) HTML-burdened
messages
(or attachments) if they're not from someone you've granted permission to send
you stuff like that.  It's a SIMPLE approach, would take out a LOT of spam
REALLY fast, and would make it a lot easier to deal with the remainder.

And giving different ISPs (or them passing on to their customers perhaps) the
choice of what to do about the messages not getting through the filter.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.