Re: [Asrg] Do-Not-Call list launch E-mails

2003-06-26 14:20:05
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg(_at_)mail1(_dot_)nber(_dot_)org>
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

Regardless of how desirable you think your offering is, the bottom line is
that
your "millions" of E-mails you plan to send ARE unsolicited E-mails, and
thus
ARE spam.

I think the original message was fairly clear that the messages would only
be sent to people signing up on the web page for call blocking, so they
are solicited.

I did not see that message.  Sorry.

If AT&T were to send messages to random people asking if
they wanted the service, that would be unsolicited.

Absolutely.

The original posting mentioned "millions of messages" because they
assume that millions of people will visit the web page to request calls be
blocked.

In any case, just sending out a lot of E-mail messages on an individual basis
shouldn't result in them being blocked.

But clearly the more personalized information they contain regarding the person
to which each is sent (name, e-mail address, IP address and maybe the time and
date from which they signed up for the service, etc etc) the less likely the
E-mails will look alike and trigger spam filters.

But I'd still recommend, too, that the E-mails be sent in compact,
compatible-with-everyone plain ASCII text, too.  :-)

I know that some recipients DO systematically filter HTML-burdened E-mail, and
sending in plain ASCII text increases the likelihood that the mail will be
delivered.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.