Re: Fwd: Re: [Asrg] Consent Proposal

2003-07-01 00:40:00
In message
<5(_dot_)2(_dot_)0(_dot_)9(_dot_)2(_dot_)20030630142433(_dot_)00ba85f0(_at_)std5(_dot_)imagineis(_dot_)com>,
 Yakov
Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> writes

. Third, inter-operability with existing email is a big problem as
well since no one would want to use an alternative system unless
many people will switch over to it and many people will not switch
others use it.

<set mode way back>
I'm sorry Alexander Graham Bell, we can't possibly accept this new
fangled telephone thing you've just invented because the above quote
claims a catch 22 for deployment. It'll never work

From the charter:
"ASRG will consider the issues of deployment for proposed solutions,
emphasizing the investigation of methods that have a realistic chance of
wide-scale deployment."

Incidentally, Bell got his patent in 1876, I have no idea how many
telephone users there were 20 years after that, but I guess many fewer than
used the telegraph. It's only in the last 50 years that the telephone has
become ubiquitous (in the "developed" world). I can remember when my mother
got the telephone installed (ca. 1966). You want to wait that long?