Re: [Asrg] Two ways to look at spam

2003-07-01 12:13:22
At 01:19 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:

At 1:37 AM -0400 6/29/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
It seems to me that the members of the group are looking at the spam problem from two different angles:

1. Network Abuse - some people including Barry Shain and Eric Brunner specifically, have been proposing that we look at the entire spam problem as one of network abuse. The Internet in general, and SMTP in particular, have been built as open systems trusting all network users to behave themselves. Spam is caused by those users abusing the network and its resources.

I've been thinking about this every since Barry posted is "call every phone" mail. And it seems to me that there is another way to look at solving the problem. Or rather, not _solving_ the problem, but addressing it.

How about technical solutions (and DCC is an example of this) for detecting spam in progress. In other words. When some set of machines start spewing millions of messages, why shouldn't there be a dynamically early alert-system for detecting that. Perhaps even one that could be installed on gateway machines--not just mail servers?

Take a look at DShield.org and Incidents.org. This system collects firewall information from many servers worldwide. This would be a good example of what such possible system can do for spam.

Yakov