RE: [Asrg] Two ways to look at spam

2003-07-01 16:01:39
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Would XrML -  eXtensible rights Markup Language
(http://www.xrml.org) or OASIS Rights Language be
a suitable language for consent?
        Once you get past all the obvious and boring objections to the
use of XML for something like this, "Yes" these methods would serve as a
good base. There isn't anything special about granting someone rights to
send you mail. You just need to be able to identify what rights can be
granted, what terms and conditions are relevant to the grants, etc.
Then, create the extensions to something like XrML and you're done. At
that point, you've got to deal with more mundane issues... Like: what do
you do with grants once you've got them? How do you distribute them? Do
you embed them in messages? Do you allow creation of tokens or proxies
as "small" versions of the larger documents? Etc...

        Note: I'm somewhat predjudiced in this matter since if you
inspect the ContentGuard patents which appear to be the source of XrML,
you'll see that they refer to some of my own patents as prior-art. The
concept of creating a "language" for licensing is something that
motivated the work I did on licensing while with Digital back in the
80's. The claims that this idea was "invented" at Xerox PARC are just
silliness...

                bob wyman