4. Survey of Solutions - Consent (was Re: [Asrg] Nothing will stop spam???)

2003-07-04 08:35:35
At 11:14 AM 7/4/2003 -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Sleeping on this I came up with some more issues (okay, I didn't sleep very well).

1. Like many systems, this ties in tightly with identity. If I move to a new ISP (or Comcast gets sold *again*) my email address changes. How do I manage notifying all of my contacts. Some people seem to think the address book model works, but I correspond with several orders of magnitude more people than are in my address book, and some of them I only send mail to every few years--I don't want to have to notify them all of a change, nor is it clear to me *how* I would notify them of a change without hitting the consent system again. It's probably technically feasible, albeit difficult, to do so if I know in advance of the change--but that doesn't always happen. Right now people struggle with simple things like transferring their address book, never mind transferring consent. A regular occurrence on wormalert is mail from someone to all of their contents with a brief comment like "sorry, just mailing myself a copy of my address book". That's how they do it--they put everyone in the to, including their new address. So. Without a persistent concept of identity, consent is rather transient to the recipient, never mind the sender.

A consent system will not base its decisions solely on the sender's email address although this may be a major factor. You may have a consent token that will let you in regardless of your email address. This consent token may be a digital certificate or signature, or verification by a third party. A simple password might not suffice.

However, two points must be made. First if all, a consent system does not necessarily imply that all incoming email from unknown senders gets chucked. All a consent system does is provide a framework and tools for users to define policies for incoming email. A consent system that lets all ASCII email through like Gordon suggested, is still a consent system just like a consent system using C/R. Second of all, like someone else mentioned in a different thread, a consent system that automatically blacklists all incoming unknown email might not be necessarily. If enough spam is blocked even though some may get through, the spammer's profit plummets and they will lose the economic inventive (this is also in regards to the introduction issue you mentioned before).

Also, just to let you know - I posted a rough draft of the consent model in this message (https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg06209.html).

Yakov