Re: 6. Solutions - DNS based - DNSSEC (was Re: [Asrg] Re: DNSSEC not deployable)

2003-07-04 08:53:34
Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:
For the sake of consideration of all DNS proposals, we need to know if we
can rely on the DNS-SEC protocol being implemented.

  I disagree.  The problem ASRG is looking at is the spam problem.
DNS security issues SHOULD be referenced and described in drafts, but
any proposed solution SHOULD NOT be dependent on solving security
issues which are outside of the scope of ASRG.

Otherwise, if it will never be implemented there is not point in
having DNS-based anti-spam systems.

  I disagree.  DNS based anti-spam solutions will make it more
difficult for spammers to do their business, even without DNSSEC.

That's why I suggested in a different thread that we should not have
this discussion here, but rather solicit an official comment from
the IESG or IAB on DNS-SEC status in relation to our group.

  ASRG is not about solving the security problem for the entire
network.

  If solutions in one area can't be implemented until all other areas
have solutions implemented, then we will never get anything done.

  Alan DeKok.