[Asrg] Consent systems

2003-07-04 10:30:42
In the case of a person that I don't know, that means that they will
have to provide a summary of *why* they want to talk to me.  (E.g.
reporting a bug in your software, your system sent me a virus, our
company changed its name, this is your grandmother sending mail from a
cruise ship....).

I see absolutely no way to provide that information without providing a
big enough window for spammers to send ads.

What am I missing?

Nothing, really.  You're right.

BUT:

You can require that messages from unknown/untrusted people:

   1)  do not contain HTML or other risky/cloaking-friendly techniques;

   2)  do not contain attachments or encoding;

   3)  are able to pass through content filters (SpamAssasin-like) that
recognize familiar spam and t-can it.

Now, it's TRUE that IF you are able to get messages from previously unknown
people, then SOME of those messages COULD be ads or spam.

OTOH, nothing says that you necessarily have to READ the message itself to find
out.

I've already proposed in conjunction with my Permissions List that you could
have (as a second-level implementation) that "held" messages (those which
failed
your permissions test) be summarized periodically to permit a quick triage by
the recipient.  You could alternatively treat ALL untrusted mail that way,
perhaps.

That way, to get an unexpected message through, someone would need to make
their
case to read it in the subject... and something more specific and personal than
typical spammer lures like "You were right" or "Is this your E-mail?" or "I
love
you!" or whatever.

I have proposed a message type that is limited to text only. (see
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05814.html)

I think that recipients should ABSOLUTELY be able to bounce or T-can unexpected
mail from untrusted senders if it contains HTML.  HTML is generally used to
obscure or cloak the content of spam messages.

It is limited to a fixed number of characters, enough for a
name/identification and reason for correspondence.

That's fine, although up to this point I'll mention that a lot of spam (once
you
get rid of the HTML) is pretty small as individual e-mails.

No URLs are permitted.

That's certainly reasonable enough.  What about Hotmail/Yahoo/etc that tend to
append banner ads incorporating URLs?

The only way to respond and give consent is by return
email to the from email address provided. No one can ask for
permission without a valid email address to provide a way for
consent to be returned.

In my Permissions List concept, you don't have to send a specific "notice of
permission" back to the unknown person.  They just have to send you plain ASCII
text, no HTML, no attachments.  You can adjust their permissions at any time,
as
you the recipient feel is necessary and appropriate.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.