Re: [Asrg] Consent systems

2003-07-04 19:47:32
Perhaps with all this talk of consent it is time for me to call attention back to Choicelist.

Choicelist was not a message tracking system, it was a consent/trust system.
It was only designed to be useful for commercial email as a filter by passing system. Over the last week or so, I have discovered how to incorporate a trust system for personal mailers into the existing framework.

I think it was Walt Dnes that proposed separate systems for personal and commercial email.

As I believe Choicelist was already a good system for handling commercial consent, I tried to figure out how to incorporate Personal consent into the system.

Here is a rough outline of the system I came up with:

Choicelist Personal Ids can be requested.
Choicelist Personal Ids give all the options of a Commercial Choicelist account (Multiple addresses, authentication options, Etc). These Ids allow the user to bypass Spam filters when they contact anybody using Choicelist to block mail. The Choicelist MUA would have a button to report abuse of a personal address. These reports would be confirmed and reviewed in real time, and offending Ids terminated. The response cycle for complaint to listing will be as short as possible (hopefully on the order of seconds). The reason this reporting will be sufficient to stop abuse of personal addresses lies in the way these Ids will be distributed.

When personal Ids are requested, only an address is required. A password is sent to that address. Each address can be used to request a new Choicelist personal Id every 3 months. This address is used only for the transmission of a single Choicelist Id. Anonymity can be preserved because Ids are transferable, and an Id can be decoupled from the address information.

Other routes to Personal Ids can be used as well, though each method should have drawbacks that outweigh an Ids usefulness for spamming because of the limited amount of spam that can be sent before an Id is terminated. It will not be economical to purchase a $5 id to get maybe 20 seconds of spamming, but a person could use a single Id indefinitely.

I believe this to be an effective way to eliminate abuse of Choicelist Personal Ids, and Choicelist already prevents abuse of Commercial Ids. I therefore see Choicelist as a complete consent system with few (if any) ways to abuse it while allowing contact with strangers without any uneeded barriers.

Choicelist requires no changes to mail sending systems, and can protect mailers from claims of abuse. Choicelist also provides benefits at low adoption rates, and so should be implementable. Choicelist is also expandable to any messaging protocol (SMS, IM, Etc.)with little or no change to the consent structures.

I could go on, but I will not. This is as close to the “Magic Bullet” as I think is necessary to stop spam permanently.

John Fenley

www.choicelist.com