Re: [Asrg] 6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS

2003-07-04 14:04:35
At 08:48 PM 7/4/2003 +0000, Mark McCarron wrote:

--__--__--

Message: 13
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:32:27 -0400
To: "Mark McCarron" <markmccarron_itt(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>,
asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
From: Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
Subject: 6. Solutions - Replacing SMTP - GIEIS (was Re: [Asrg] Re:
  'GIEIS' - The Fourth Response (Esa Laitinen))

Mr. McCarron,

Case in point:

On July 1st EU countries started charging VAT taxes on most digital
transactions performed by non-EU companies to EU consumers. EU laws seem to
apply here to companies outside the jurisdiction of the EU.

Mark's Response:

This is really import duty, a taxsation on goods imported into a country/region. This has two main puposes, generate revenue and to stabilize economies from the impact of cheap imports. This is a completely different legal area than a port scan.

I will spell it out: EU LAWS SEEM TO APPLY HERE TO COMPANIES OUTSIDE THE JURISDICTION OF THE EU. That was the point I was trying to make.