[Asrg] 0. General - Group Direction

2003-07-07 21:09:57
Our group was intended to do the following (from http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03mar/minutes/asrg.htm):

"ASRG was formed to UNDERSTAND the problem and collectively PROPOSE and EVALUATE solutions to allow "consent based communication."

However, while we had many discussions on UNDERSTANDING the spam problem, we have not produced a document or a summary of our results on that issue. But it seems that we are currently on our way towards PROPOSING AND EVALUATING solutions by first developing the following tools:
1. Consent framework.
2. Requirements document.
3. Technical Considerations document.

Using these tools we can then look back at the various proposals and start evaluating them. As for UNDERSTANDING the problem can we hope to come up with a document summarizing the problem or is since there are so many divergent views, that will not happen?

In general, is there a specific roadmap or direction for the group? Perhaps we are seeking to accomplish the following goals:
1. Write up a document summarizing the problem.
2. Write up documents to be used for evaluating proposals.
3. Start evaluating solutions based on the first two steps.
4. Select areas where standards are needed and either develop them or pass on the standardization suggestions to the IETF.

Yakov