[Asrg] 6. Proposals - Replacing SMTP

2003-07-08 08:56:37
This is a quote taken from section 4.1 of
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-02.txt),
emphasis added:

-----snip----
"A key construct to examination of adoption and benefit is
"core-vs-edge".  Generally, adoption at the edge of a system is easier and
quicker than adoption in the core. If a mechanism affects the core
(infrastructure) then it usually must be adopted by most or all of the
infrastructure before it provides meaningful utility. IN SOMETHING THE
SCALE OF THE INTERNET, IT CAN TAKE DECADES TO REACH THAT LEVEL OF ADOPTION,
IF IT EVER DOES.

Remember that the Internet comprises a massive number of independent
administrations, each with their own politics and funding. What is
important and feasible to one might be neither to another. If the latter
administration is in the handling path for a message, then it will not have
implemented the necessary control mechanism. Worse, it well might not be
possible to change this.  FOR EXAMPLE A PROPOSAL THAT REQUIRES A BRAND NEW
MAIL SERVICE IS NOT LIKELY TO GAIN MUCH TRACTION.

By contrast, some "edge" mechanisms provide utility to the first one, two
or three adopters who interact with each other. No one else is needed for
the adopters to gain some benefit. Each additional adopter makes the total
system incrementally more useful. For example a filter can be useful to the
first recipient to adopt it. A consent mechanism can be useful to the first
two or three adopters, depending upon the design of the mechanism."
-----snip----

Thanks for posting that.  That last paragraph, in particular, is a very good
discussion about why my Permissions List idea is likely to be so successful and
effective.

First, it's incrementally deployable.  It interacts with the person who first
uses it, so there is an immediate positive feedback that rewards the
installation, even if NOBODY else installs it.

Second, my approach doesn't _require_ ANYBODY else to adopt it for it to be
useful.

The initial adopters will see the *great* majority of spam intercepted because
of its use of HTML-burdening.

Third, as my approach becomes more widespread, and spammers realize that using
HTML, attachments, and base64 encoding in their messages is the kiss of death
their messages ever being read, they'll revert to plain ASCII text which will
all by itself cut spam bulk by probably about 70%.

In the process of reverting to plain ASCII text, the GREAT majority of the
tricks they use to obscure the contents of their spam and confuse/defeat
content
scanners will be denied to them.  This ensures that stuff like SpamAssassin
should be able to very effectively clean up most of what's left.

Fourth, my approach can be implemented at end-user sites, requiring *NO*
changes
at ISPs or network infrastructure AT ALL.  As the usefulness becomes more
widespread, I believe that the permissions list filtering will probably move so
that it occurs as soon as the spam hits the destination domain... either the
ISP
or domain provider.  This will reduce the storage/bandwidth costs at the
destination ISP, plus will offer the ISP a competitive advantage over ISPs that
don't offer the service.  Customers not wanting spam (and we've seen with the
new nationwide do-not-call list how consumers are rushing to take advantage of
features like this) will obviously prefer ISPs which help control the flood of
spam.  (And unlike other techniques, mine has the advantage of not being
totally
invisible... the user is more aware of how much spam is being intercepted,
which
means that they appreciate the service much more).

One thing that I've done as a result of the discussions here is that I've
started implementing some of the stuff we've talked about into my personal
E-mail processing system.  In particular, it struck me as useful to not just
route the spam to a "spam" dead-letter-mailbox but also to produce a summary
list of what's been routed there, and why.  Currently this list is just being
kept as a file on disk, although I'll probably add the features to periodically
E-mail it to me, as well as providing an interactive tool of some kind to
facilitate me dealing with the information in it... (examine. discard, deliver
anyway, update rules, etc etc)

Note that my present incoming mail filter does not yet implement the
Permissions
List feature (which accounts for some of the stuff I'm seeing in my spam
routing
reports...) but FWIW here's some of the early results, just as an example:

I've inserted [comments] here to explain some of the results and reasons.

[quote]

-----
\\NTS1\HOME\SPAM\INETMAIL\INBOX\MSG57.msg